How to Craft a Resume and Cover Letter as an Event Planner
Highlighting Your Organizational, Communication and Planning Skills
Event planning positions require impeccable organizational, communication, and planning skills. To get the attention of an employer, you need to provide examples of previous event experience and detail the ways in which your involvement directly led to the event's success.
Below is a cover letter and resume example for an event/meeting planner position which you can adjust to suit your needs.
Event Planning Cover Letter Example
Dear Mr. or Ms.
I am writing because I am keenly interested in your Meeting and Events Planning Director position at Universal Events, Inc. I have qualified success as an event planner and possess an organized and detail-oriented work ethic which I can bring to the role.
As a Senior Event Coordinator, I have planned and executed over one hundred corporate events, ranging from large-scale international meetings to intimate fundraising events. I have overseen all aspects of event planning for corporations. This work ranges from finding appropriate venues to selecting vendors to publicizing events through print, electronic, and online media.
My experience with financial and contract management is also in line with your job description. As an event coordinator at Event Management Solutions, I oversaw a variety of events, both large-scale and small-scale. I identified ancillary revenue sources and various cost-saving opportunities for clients with limited budgets.
I am known for my ability to stay within the parameters of my clients’ budgets, thus ensuring their satisfaction.
I have enclosed my resume and will call within the week to see if we can arrange a time to speak.
Thank you for your time and consideration.
Below is an example of a resume for an event planner that can be adapted to suit your needs.
Event Planner Resume Example
123 Main Street, Boston, MA 02215
Organized and detail-oriented event planner with over eight years experience in planning and executing meetings and events. Expert in selecting and transforming venues to accommodate clients’ needs. Skilled at developing strong relationships with quality vendors. Proven ability to manage schedules, meet tight deadlines, and orchestrate consistently high-quality events.
July 20XX – Present Senior Event Coordinator – Professional Events, Boston, MA
- Direct the planning and execution of corporate events (including meetings and fundraisers) for a prestigious roster of corporate clients.
- Serve as primary contact for all vendors.
- Maintain strong relationships with numerous international vendors to assist corporations in planning overseas events.
- Manage budgets of up to $100,000 for large-scale events.
June 20XX – June 20XX Event Coordinator – Event Management Solutions, Natick, MA
- Seamlessly planned and executed events, both professional (e.g., conferences and meetings) and social (e.g., weddings and birthday parties) for a range of clients.
- Managed budgets of up to $30,000, for events with up to 500 attendees.
- Oversaw a team of vendors and event contributors including entertainers, photographers, caterers, and AV technicians.
January 20XX – May 20XX Special Events Associate – Art By Kids, Inc., Boston, MA
- Coordinated fundraising and donor communication for a nonprofit organization promoting and selling youth artwork.
- Organized two annual fundraisers and served as the primary contact for all vendors.
- Developed effective social networking outreach and managed radio and print ad campaigns to promote events.
- Recognized by the Executive Director for increasing attendance at fundraisers by 25 percent.
XYZ University, B.A. in Marketing, June 20XX
ISES (International Special Events Society), Member
Event Planner Association, Member
Sending an Email Cover Letter
If you're sending your cover letter via email, put your name and job title in the subject line of the email message and include your contact information below your email signature.
Here's an example of a formatted email cover letter.
More Sample Cover Letters
Cover letter samples, formats, and templates for a wealth of career fields and employment levels.
Dear Mr. Caldwell,
I am writing to apply for the Events Assistant position with Dynamax Corporation. I am an adept multi-tasker who has worked in corporate events for the past two years. As an Events Assistant for Stateline Consulting I work with the Events Coordinator to ensure that every detail of each specific activity goes off without a hitch.
I have excellent attention to detail and enjoy tasks such as scheduling appointments assisting with promotional outreach and helping with clean up. My time management and interpersonal skills make me ideally suited for the fast-paced and often hectic duties of an Events Assistant. I’m an outstanding team player but have no trouble working independently and taking initiative when I see the need. I work tirelessly from start to finish in my current Events Assistant position and don’t leave the work site until I am satisfied that everything has been cleaned up and attended to properly. I am confident I can make an outstanding contribution to the events team at your company. As an accomplished events professional I love the challenge of seeing an event unfold from beginning to end.
I hope to be able to speak with you soon about my qualifications and look forwad to hearing fro you. Thank you for your time and consideration.